Fall 2023 Group Fitness Classes
Jiu Jitsu (co-ed)
Tues, and Thurs 6-7:30pm in Levering Gym
Taught by: John Peck
For those interested in a practical martial art or those simply looking for a new way to maintain fitness, Jiu-Jitsu provides the perfect opportunity. With the aim of teaching effective combat and self-defense techniques, Jiu-Jitsu has shown itself to be viable in a variety of situations. It also has the added benefits of improving cardio, strength, and flexibility. The classes themselves will consist of warmups, learning techniques (with both demonstrations and applications), and an end-of-class period for controlled practice and the addressing of remaining questions. The movements themselves take place primarily on the padded ground and can be learned by anyone interested, regardless of previous experience, size, or gender (though there will be no co-ed contact).
Start Date – Tuesday, August 22nd @6pm
*Please ask the Guest Service Associate at the front desk of the HRC about signing a waiver, or sign the waiver by following the link provided.
Barre Class (women only)
Mon. 4-5pm, Wed. 7-8pm in Levering Gym
Taught by: Lizzie Graham
Barre is a ballet-inspired, low-intensity workout class targeted at increasing muscle tone and flexibility. You do not need ballet or dance experience to thrive in this class – barre is for everyone! The barre is one of many tools you may use in a barre class. The class also utilizes exercise balls, light hand weights, and stretch bands. The instructor will provide modifications for exercises so that each person feels comfortable.
Start Date – Monday, August 21st @4pm
The purpose of the HRC Dress Code is to promote Christian virtue, gospel living, and love for one another in the way that we dress. By defining clear guidelines for appropriate dress, we support the principles of Christian modesty and godly discernment for the purpose of loving one another.
- Modest apparel is expected in all areas of the HRC
- Apparel with inappropriate language or pictures are not permitted
- With the exception of the pool area, shoes are required in all areas of the HRC. Closed toe shoes are required in the weight room
- Excessively short or form fitting shorts are not permitted (bicycle shorts)
- Shirts that cover the chest and midriff must be worn at all times
- No crop tops or shirts that open and expose the lower back
- No form-fitting or excessively loose tank-tops
- Yoga pants are permitted as long as the fabric is thick enough not to see through
- Shirts must be worn at all times
- No form-fitting or excessively loose tank-tops that show the large portion of the chest, abdominals, and back area (stringers)
- Shorts that go above the mid thigh are not permitted
Group Fitness Tips
- Be sure to bring a towel and a bottle of water.
- Be aware of the health and rec center’s dress code before attending class or the weight room.
- Show up a couple minutes early to get a spot.
- Let the instructor know it’s your first time.
- Watch and listen for cues from your instructor.
- Modify movements according to your fitness level.
- Bring a friend for accountability.