*Shoppers and donors - see holiday schedule below*
The Southern Exchange serves students and student families through the distribution of free used clothing, shoes, household goods and furniture.
Join the Southern Exchange team in their essential work needed to sort and organize donations, serving and encouraging our students and their families.
SHOPPERS AND DONORS!
- Our last day to shop in 2023 will be Friday, December 15. We will reopen on Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
- Our last day for donations in 2023 will be Saturday, December 16. We will reopen for donations on Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
New Hours for 2023
Open for shopping from Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 4 PM.
Open for donations from Monday through Saturday from 1 to 4 PM.
The Southern Exchange Guidelines
1. You must be a current student or student spouse/child.
This will be verified by your Shield card number at checkout.
2. On any given day, you may checkout with up to:
- FOUR clothing items per person
- FOUR household items per family—including toys
- TWO books per family
3. Every 90 days, you may reserve a furniture item, appliance, large toy, bike, etc.
We will tag what we consider to be 90 day items with a Southern Exchange tag. You must reserve these items by request from one of our volunteers. Once you are verified to be eligible, you may take the item that day but you have up to 7 days to make arrangements to pick it up. After 7 days, the reservation will be removed if the item is not picked up.
4. Husbands and wives may each receive a 90 day item but children may not.
5. Some especially nice 90 day items are tagged as “couples” items.
These items count as a 90 day item for both the husband and the wife meaning that neither one can take another item for 90 days. We will allow 2 roommates to reserve these items as well but they are reserved under both names.
6. We have limited food items in the kitchen room.
We can provide additional items based on need. See a volunteer for details!
7. We are open TUESDAY-FRIDAY from 1-4 p.m.
We will be busy sorting on Mondays but will not be open for students.
8. It is our joy to offer this ministry to SBTS and Boyce families….but it is a privilege for you to shop here.
That privilege will be suspended if our policies are not followed. We require you to show us how many items you have at checkout. You must stop at the checkout every time you are taking items from The Southern Exchange.
9. Our donation bins are under surveillance.
Any students who take items from the hallway before they are processed will lose their privilege and be reported to the Dean of Students.
Volunteer at The Southern Exchange
Please contact us if you have an interest in serving with The Southern Exchange team. We have a stellar group of individuals who serve each week to help provide for seminary students and their families.
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator
If you want more information about volunteering at Southern Seminary, contact our Volunteer Coordinator.
Phone: (502) 897-4258
Visit The Southern Exchange
Please stop by The Southern Exchange or call (502) 897-4258 anytime during our hours of operation (Tuesday through Friday, 1 – 4 p.m.).
Current volunteers will be happy to get you connected and answer any questions that you have.
Volunteers and donors, please note the following:
- We gladly accept donations of gently used clothing & shoes (no undergarments or lingerie)
- We gladly accept extra kitchen & household goods (clean and in good working order)
- We are always in need of boys’ clothing
- We provide tax receipts upon request
- We depend on volunteers to staff the facility each afternoon
- We have an orientation guide on site to answer questions that volunteers might have
- We can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We have an onsite phone number: (502) 897-4258
The Southern Exchange accepts items Mondays through Saturdays from 1-4 p.m.
- We are in need of good quality clothing, especially for older girls and boys.
- We are particularly in need of gently used furniture and toys.
- We regret that we are no longer accepting mattresses, mattress pads, or large back televisions.